Tried to get up early again today and get going on the book manuscript read-through, but my son got up early too, which means I haven’t gotten as far as I would have liked. So far I have finished chapter three, and am well underway in chapter four. I just took a little break to do a search for images for “Per Gynt-vegen” (the Per Gynt road) on a hunch that there might be something there I could use as a book cover image. I’ve been totally frustrated in my attempts to find something appropriate, and I’m starting to get really worried about it. Much to my utter delight, one of the very first things to come up was a really charming black & white photo from 1956 when the road was opened. It’s on the official website for the Per Gynt road, and I’ve already written an email to them asking whether it might be possible to use the image. The quality of the one on the website it terrible (you can barely see what it is), but if it’s possible to get a high-resolution digital copy and permission to use it, this is absolutely the best image I’ve found for communicating the contents of the book.
I woke up early and started reading through and marking up the manuscript. I finished the introduction and the first two chapters, and got started on chapter three, but didn’t make it any further than that because of a nasty and incapacitating sinus infection. I also did a minimal amount of editing on the two or three paragraphs I have for the in-house seminar paper. I really don’t see how I’m going to get that written by noon on Wednesday!
Today was a teaching day, and I also had to screen (and watch) a film for my students. Got very little if anything done on the book edits, and realized with a panic that I’m supposed to present a paper at an in-house seminar this coming Wednesday. That paper is not yet written. Eep.
Reconstructing here, since I seem to have forgotten to post. Thursday I spent the day on campus and got a ton of revising done. I also finally had to face the fact that I have not been consistent in my translating and citing of sources. What I though on Wednesday was just a few small edits is really a systemic problem. I could kick myself. Thankfully, the editor is in no hurry, so I can get it all done properly.
Some good progress today! I made it through all of chapters three and four, though it took all day. I should be on track to finish up five and the conclusion tomorrow, but will have to do some tracking down and correcting of citations on Friday. Still I do think I can get the thing submitted by the end of the day.
On an unrelated note, I got a response this morning on the paper on Frankenstein that I submitted to the journal Reception earlier this spring. They want me to revise and resubmit, which is fantastic and exciting! How cool will it be to be able to say that I’ve published on Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein!
I finally had a productive day today, and basically finished all the revisions for chapters one and two. The introduction was all I got done last week, so this was a big leap forward. I still have a few stray parenthetical citations to correct, but I’m forging ahead to chapters three and four tomorrow. I’m stoked because I’m finally going to be able to work from home for two full days before going in to teach on Friday.
All I did for NaSchWriMo yesterday was read through and comment chapter one in the Peer Gynt manuscript. Today I got some actual revising done, and am pretty much finished with the introduction now. I have just a little to go on chapter 2, and am hoping to finish that up and get started on chapter 1 after I teach (10:15-12:00) tomorrow. I have two full days to work on the manuscript on Wednesday and Thursday. I’m hoping to get all of chapters 1 and 3 done on Wednesday, and all of chapter 4 and most of 5 done on Thursday. Friday I have to screen a film and prep for class (12:15-14:00) in the morning, which doesn’t leave much time on Friday for doing chapter 5 and the conclusion. Eep.