Well, I don’t want to jinx myself, but I think I got back on track today. I woke up really early, which allowed me to read through chapter 2 and edit for flow and coherence over a leisurely breakfast.
I got five uninterrupted hours of cutting and pasting done on campus. That means that I’ve done all the cutting and pasting for the introduction, the conclusion, chapter 1, and chapter 3, leaving only chapters 4 and 5 for Thursday and Friday. I’ll need to do more editing for flow and coherence on all that too, but it’s looking likely that I’ll have the chapters pretty much ready for the next phase by the end of the day on Friday (we leave on Saturday for a week’s vacation).
One of the things I’m discovering about endnote formatting is that is shortens the document by quite a bit. As I was doing my workout at the end of the day I was fretting about the book becoming too short, and I started thinking about the possibility of re-inserting the section on the seter in Collett’s Amtmandens Døttre. I took it out because my colleague thought it was “weird” to analyze different aspects of the same book in two different chapters. I’m thinking there must be a way to frame the discussion so that it isn’t “weird.” I jotted down some notes and may try to take a stab at doing it tomorrow morning on my read-through of chapter 1.
Of course when I get back from vacation I’ll have all the dreadful formatting of the end notes, but at least then they’ll all be there, and it’s really just a matter of following the Chicago Manual Style meticulously and systematically. Still, there’s about 90 notes per chapter, so it’s going to be bone-crackingly tedious.
The only other thing I did today was gather the five articles on Armand V that I could get my hands on. Per usual, the one issue I needed of a particular journal was the only one not on the shelf. I don’t know why this happens so much, but if I’m going to the UiO library to pick up three things, inevitably one will be missing. I’ve never had worse luck at a library than here.