And, anti-climactic as always when it comes to things academic, that’s it. I just now sent off hard and electronic copies of the cabin book manuscript to the editor in the US who expressed interest in it. Now I just … wait. I have no idea how long it will take him to decide whether or not to send it on to the next round (peer review).
I’m really glad I took the time to do the translations, because along the way as I was reading I came across a handful of spots in the last two chapters that weren’t really properly finished. It was pretty easy to insert a few sentences to link the analyses back to the main theoretical approach of the book. I’m sure I could have done a much better job, but I just feel so thoroughly and utterly finished with this project right now. I don’t ever want to see it in manuscript form again. I wish it could just magically appear as a book without me having anything to do with it!
Unfortunately, I still have a huge part of the book to work out, namely the bibliography. I have been uncharacteristically sloppy with compiling it, and now I’m going to have to pay the price. Since the press that’s looking at the manuscript requires Chicago rather than MLA formatting, I decided this morning that I should go ahead and download Zotero (again), and input all my bibliographical information there, rather than in a plain Word document. That way, I’ll be able to generate the bibliography in any number of different formats if need be. It’s a tedious project, but just perfect for next week, which is winter vacation. All of my family will be at home (and the Nordic skiing world championships will be on tv!), so I probably won’t get any writing done, but I’m sure I can squeeze in basic data entry throughout the week.
Words written: I didn’t track the additions to the manuscript that I made yesterday and today, but the final tally was 78,300 words, which worked out to 245 manuscript pages (double spaced).