The organizers of the Imagining Spaces/Places conference that I went to in Helsinki last summer are putting together a proceedings volume, and the deadline for revising papers is the end of July. I finally opened up the documents for that (their editorial comments and my original conference paper) and started looking at them today. I was a little dismayed to see that they basically want me to write an entirely different paper. Well, I suppose that’s not really true; what they want me to do is expand my rather narrow analysis of one particular text (Maurits C. Hansens “Luren”) so that I talk about the development of the cabin trope more generally. The original paper was around 3,000 words, and they want an article of between 6,000 and 8,000 words.
My plan for dealing with this is to adapt material from the introduction to the cabin book. I brought that file along with me too, so I was able to cut and paste the relevant bits into the “Luren” article. It’s very rough right now, but I think I’ve reached the limit of what I can do with it today. I’ll need to print it out and do a bunch of revision rounds to clean up the transitions and logical flow between old and new sections. Right now it looks like Dr. Frankenstein’s creature. I also still have a lot of room to add even more material. I wasn’t totally happy with my “Luren” analysis because I though it strayed too far from the cabin focus, so maybe I’ll be able to improve that as well along the way.
Words written: a couple hundred, I’m guessing. The article word count is now 4,479